[CentOS] Samba4 questions

Tue Apr 22 19:02:04 UTC 2014
John R Pierce <pierce at hogranch.com>

On 4/22/2014 11:52 AM, Steve Campbell wrote:
> But do the workgroups have their own login scripts on the server? That's
> sort of been the difference between using workgroups and domains, at
> least from any readings I've done so far. We actually break the
> "workgroups/domains" down into departmental groups.

workgroups are just groupings of peer hosts for the 'network
neighborhood' view.  nothing more or less.   most importantly, they
don't include any 'server' or centralized authentication, thats what
Active Directory provides.

In Microsoft's Active Directory, you put users and systems in "OU"
(Organizational Units), and each OU can have group policies and those
policies can specify login scripts, these can do things like map network
drives for users.   Presumably, Samba's implementation of AD offers a
similar facility, but I don't think the domain management tools in Samba
are anywhere near as well integrated or full featured as what you get
with a Windows Server system.