[CentOS] Samba4 questions

Tue Apr 22 19:55:57 UTC 2014
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>

On Tue, Apr 22, 2014 at 2:02 PM, John R Pierce <pierce at hogranch.com> wrote:
> On 4/22/2014 11:52 AM, Steve Campbell wrote:
>> But do the workgroups have their own login scripts on the server? That's
>> sort of been the difference between using workgroups and domains, at
>> least from any readings I've done so far. We actually break the
>> "workgroups/domains" down into departmental groups.
>
> workgroups are just groupings of peer hosts for the 'network
> neighborhood' view.  nothing more or less.   most importantly, they
> don't include any 'server' or centralized authentication, thats what
> Active Directory provides.

Windows had a concept of 'domain controller' before AD, and samba 3.x
should be able to emulate that for one domain and run a logon script.
It might be cheaper to run 3 Centos instances (or VMs)  than Netware
or AD (or learn how to manage the AD emulation in samba 4).

SME server used to be pretty good at that sort of thing (small
business server).  You could just add users and put them in groups
with the web interface and set up file shares by group.  The ClearOS
version might be more up to date, though.    The old lanman
authentication wouldn't be as secure as AD, though.

--
   Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com