[CentOS] [OT] how do I remove a battery

Fri Apr 25 18:06:33 UTC 2014
Michael Hennebry <hennebry at web.cs.ndsu.nodak.edu>

On Fri, 25 Apr 2014, g wrote:

> something i will suggest, being that you pulled cell from
> a dead board, consider getting another cell.
>
> then, wrap cell and package it is in with 'saran wrap', squeeze
> out as much a possible, then wrap with aluminum foil. place in
> freezer and it will be waiting for you when you need it. do
> allow 12 - 16 hours for warm up before using.

Makes sense to me.
I'll do that the next time I do a mail order.

> i have kept batteries and cells in freezer for over 10 years and
> they still give over 1 year 'shelf life' service. i do not
> recommend doing such with "silicone" batteries', aka, "gel cell"
> batteries.
>
> also, when you change a cmos cell, you may do so with power
> supply turned on to preserve cmos settings.

That I did not know.
'Tis contrary to a lot of other advice,
but it makes sense.

Other things that I might want to preserve include two power supplies,
an IDE-only CD reader, an IDE-only DVR writer and an AGP video card.
I do not have a lot of convenient storage space on my main floor.
Ideally, none of the five will be used for a while.
Suggestions regarding storage?

I also have four 1-GB DDR2 memory cards.
My two exant computers have two 2-GB DDR2
memory cards each and room for two more cards,
As the information does not seem to be on the cards,
I will probably have to do a search to discovery
whether the old cards can keep up with the new.

Supposing they can, I am debating between prompt
install and waiting until I need more memory.
If I put them in an anti-static bag first,
would the freezer trick work with the memory cards?

"SCSI is NOT magic. There are *fundamental technical
reasons* why it is necessary to sacrifice a young
goat to your SCSI chain now and then."   --   John Woods