[CentOS] Getting yum to install to python 2.7 dir

Sun Apr 27 22:41:11 UTC 2014
Jim Perrin <jperrin at centos.org>

On 04/27/2014 03:58 PM, Larry Martell wrote:
> I am running CentOS 6.5, which has python 2.6. I need python 2.7 so I
> installed that and it works and is my default python. But yum does not
> work with that, so I changed the shebang line for yum to
> /usr/bin/python2.6 and then yum works again. But when I install a
> python package with yum it get installed to
> /usr/lib64/python2.6/site-packages/. How can I get yum to install to
> /usr/lib64/python2.7/site-packages?

You don't. That's determined by the package build, not anything to do
with the package installer tools (either rpm or yum). Some 3rd party
repositories like IUS or software collections have python27, and that's
the best way to install it. If you've built your python from source,
then you've circumvented the package manager and done "Bad Things".

--
Jim Perrin