[CentOS] Ulimit problem - CentOS 5.10

Mon Apr 28 22:20:25 UTC 2014
Nathan Duehr <denverpilot at me.com>

On Apr 25, 2014, at 4:46 AM, Leon Fauster <leonfauster at googlemail.com> wrote:

> Am 24.04.2014 um 19:44 schrieb James Pearson <james-p at moving-picture.com>:
>> Nathan Duehr wrote:
>>>
>>> Attempting to force the ulimit up inside the RC script has no effect, since the package is running
>>> as a non-root user.  It fails to raise the limit.
>>
>> init.d scripts run as root so you should be able to set a hard/soft limit in the init.d script before the package is started
>

> to survive updates, the init script should include one config
> file under /etc/sysconfig/ - there should such a entry be safe.

This is definitely true. The init script came from the Asterisk folks (we're not using a package modified to behave specifically with RHEL/CentOS) and would get over-written on upgrade.

Seems like the brokenness is the behavior of init ignoring /etc/security/limits.conf, to my way of thinking anyway.

--
Nate Duehr
denverpilot at me.com