[CentOS] Disappearing Network Manager config scripts

Wed Apr 30 14:55:19 UTC 2014
Lamar Owen <lowen at pari.edu>

On 04/30/2014 10:36 AM, Les Mikesell wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 30, 2014 at 9:15 AM, Lamar Owen <lowen at pari.edu> wrote:
>> ...If you install the Desktop
>> package, there's a bit of an assumption that you want a Desktop, no?
>>
> No. Just no.  Not if you think that means there is just one Desktop
> and it is physically attached to the box you are installing.

I don't; I'm familiar with LTSP and similar.  In these cases a different
group could be defined that includes all of the packages of the Desktop
group but without NM, and called 'LTSP Desktop Server' or 'Virtual
Desktop Server' or similar.  But in X there is no real difference
between a local X server and a remote one, other than the display number
and the plumbing.  Perhaps to make it even clearer the existing Desktop
group could be renamed 'Console Desktop' but that's a bit much, since
most Desktop users are console users; that's not to say that there is
not a 'Citrix Terminal Services'-like use case out there.  And you can
yum remove NetworkManager without major impact, as long as you make sure
to re-enable the other network service.

> That hasn't been a reasonable assumption for anything running X, ever, and even less so with freenx/x2go.

Interestingly, X turns the whole client/server thing on its head.....
and always has.  This is more of a 'VDI' type thing, though, and is not
the common Desktop use case.  Apollo had this problem licked for the
local network years ago; the X way is a bit of a regression from the
very non-standard way DomainOS did things. Vestiges of the DomainOS way
still show up in the Andrew Filesystem, though.

> You want the applications on a stable, stably networked server and the displays out where people work.

So, pardon the logic, you want the clients running on reliable servers
and the servers running on the remote clients.  (Yes, I know what I just
said..... it's supposed to be humorous......).  But think about cloud
desktops for a moment, and think about dynamic cloud desktop service
mobility that follows you (network-wise, for lowest latency) to give you
the best user experience.  (No, VDI is not doing this seamlessly yet).