[CentOS] Disappearing Network Manager config scripts

Wed Apr 30 18:16:50 UTC 2014
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>

On Wed, Apr 30, 2014 at 1:02 PM, Steve Clark <sclark at netwolves.com> wrote:

> You do know that windows servers have a fairly complete set of command
> line options, don't you?
>
> Well the one and only time I configured an interface on windows from the
> command line I couldn't believe I had to type
> some great big string to identify the interface, of course I had looked up
> how to do it on the internet so there may
> have been a shorter way to do it.

So, have you ever had to deal with a CentOS box and multiple NICs.
Especially one where you've cloned it or moved a disk to a new
chassis?   Apparently there is just not a good way to identify
interfaces.

> I guess coming from a history of starting out on an IBM 1130 and proceeding
> thru Burroughs, NCR and Data General OSes and hardware
> I just got used to understanding at a very low level and doing things
> without the help of some fancy GUI.

Well, you can do it that way on windows if you want.  It's just, ummm,
different.  Like that thing we were talking about here.

--
   Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com