[CentOS] Disappearing Network Manager config scripts

Wed Apr 30 18:36:32 UTC 2014
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>

On Wed, Apr 30, 2014 at 1:21 PM, Lamar Owen <lowen at pari.edu> wrote:

>> I'll take [SRV record examples] as a 'no' for the general case.
> How is an RFC quote and an example of a running standardized application
> using the feature a 'no?'  Please read
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SRV_record and see just how standardized
> it is.

So can I expect it to work with ssh?  SMTP?  SNMP? Or any application
I'm likely to use?  Who's going to open the corresponding firewall
holes?

>>  How is [rolling a cloud instance dev VM] easier than saying 'ssh
>> nodename yum -y install postgresql-server'/ Something I already know
>> how to do and how to make happen any number of ties - and something
>> that works on real hardware and in spite of the differences in VM
>> cloud tools.
>
> How do you guarantee a clean sandbox?

Either clonezilla or a minimal OS install to start.  Or if it is a VM,
copy/revert an image.  But except for development build systems we
mostly work with hardware.

> In the cloud case, every VM
> rolled is as clean as the template that generated it, and gives you a
> known starting point.  And I use PostgreSQL as the example since I
> maintained those RPMs for five years, and I understand the need for a
> clean sandbox, having learned the hard way what can happen if you don't
> take the care to make your sandbox clean (this was pre-mach, and
> definitely pre-mock, and buildroots had to be carefully regulated since
> they weren't cleanly sandboxed by mock and kin).
>
>> At the expense of being black magic that won't work outside of that
>> environment.  I don't like magic.  I don't like things that lock you
>> in to only one vendor/tool/OS.
> OpenStack will do most of what I'm talking about already.

On real hardware?

>> Actually, I'd like to see a single device do all of that gunk plus
>> have an HDMI out to act as a media player so a typical home would only
>> need one extra 'thing' besides the computer/tablet/phone.  But it
>> doesn't matter - you still have to configure it somehow.  Do you want
>> things to guess at your firewall rules?
>>
> That last point is exactly what UPNP was supposed to solve.

Great... Why have a firewall when holes open by magic at an unsecure
application's request?

> Such a device as you want exists; see the GuruPlug Display and
> descendants.  They are definitely tinkering boxen, and they do have
> their issues (I have a GuruPlug Server Plus with the eSATA port and the
> infamous overheating problems) but they are available.

I'd really like at least a 4-port switch and room for at least a pair
of 2.5" drives in what could still be a relatively tiny case.  That
is, combine everything in a typical router, nas, and media player.
Current CPUs should be able to handle all those tasks at once.

--
   Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com