[CentOS] wget: unable to resolve host address “xxxxx”

Guy Harrison

gfh at swampdog.co.uk
Fri Aug 1 11:06:03 UTC 2014

On Wednesday 30 July 2014 15:40:56 Theodore Si wrote:
> But how? Could you be more specific?
> I am using NAT to connect my virtual machine to the Internet.

We need more information off you. What kind of vmware? What host platform?
What Centos? What is your exact 'wget' command & failure message?

It may be a vmware problem in which case you may need to ask there. However
(iirc) vmnet0 (bridged), vmnet1 (host-only) and vmnet8 (nat) are common
psuedo network devices installed. Nat should work out of the box but note
is effectively using whatever DNS is configured for the host.

However, the fact other tools work, would, in the first instance, imply a
problem with 'wget' usage.