[CentOS] How to update MySQL with CentOS 6 in most unintrusive way - in regard to perl and PHP packages

Alexander Farber

alexander.farber at gmail.com
Tue Aug 5 13:10:47 UTC 2014

Dear fellow CentOS users,

for my few hobby projects (web games + forums) I have been using CentOS 5
(then 6) with Drupal and PostgreSQL plus few custom PHP and Perl scripts
written by mysef.

Since PostgreSQL version delivered with CentOS package has been a bit
dated, I always used the PGDG packages:

    # rpm -qa | grep -i pgdg

    pgdg-centos93-9.3-1.noarch
    postgresql93-9.3.5-1PGDG.rhel6.i686
    postgresql93-libs-9.3.5-1PGDG.rhel6.i686
    postgresql93-server-9.3.5-1PGDG.rhel6.i686

As a web developer this has been a very pleasant experience, since (by some
great magic) all the other CentOS packages (like php-pgsql and perl-DBD-Pg)
just worked with the PGDG packages.

Now I have decided to switch to WordPress for my new projects and am
(sadly) forced to switch the database too:

I have to use MySQL or MariaDB with CentOS 6.5.

So my question is: if anybody can recommend a similarly comfortable package
repository for MySQL/MariaDB - which wouldn't mess up any other CentOS
packages and which would update itself (with "yum update").

And please do not suggest something like Fedora or EPEL repositories,
because other than for MySQL/MariaDB I would like not to add any additional
packages to have my server as "stable" as possible.

Thank you for any hints
Alex