[CentOS] CentOS 6 - Lost Console Login

Kirk Bocek t004 at kbocek.com
Tue Aug 5 22:22:10 UTC 2014

On 8/4/2014 7:30 PM, John R Pierce wrote:
> On 8/4/2014 5:47 PM, Kirk Bocek wrote:
>> Just had a problem with CentOS 6.5 x86_64 after the last kernel upgrade.
>> It looks like the boot sector got hosed somehow and the system was
>> unbootable. I was able to fix it with a boot to an install image USB and
>> running grub-install. System is now bootable.
>>
>> However, I've lost the system console. No login prompt is provided at
>> the console.
>>
>> The system boots and is remotely accessible. Services seem just fine. I
>> don't see any error messages after booting, either dmesg or
>> /var/log/messages.
>>
>> Can anyone tell me what packages provide console login so I can try a
>> reinstall.
> is it booting up in init level 3, or 5  (text console vs X-windows ?)

> On 8/5/2014 5:47 PM, Kirk Bocek wrote:
>

> Okay, it looks like upstart isn't running /etc/init/start-ttys.conf
>
> After running "initctl list" and seeing that tty was in stop/waiting, I
> manually ran:
>
>        initctl start tty TTY=/dev/tty1
>
> six times to get the six usual ttys. After looking at start-ttys.conf I
> guess I could have just run that once instead. Now "initctl list" looks
> like:

Starting the ttys that way didn't work. I was unable to login. So I
stopped them and ran:

         initctl start start-ttys

Which *seemed* to work better. It loaded all six ttys. I was able to
login at the console. I see an entry in /var/log/secure for my login.

*But* the terminal session is all messed up. I can run any commands.
They are accepted but do not execute. The first character of the command
is echoed back but that's all. In addition, during login, the password
is fully echoed back on the screen instead of being hidden the way it
should be.

As I said, I can login through ssh and work just fine. So the user
environment and all user tools are intact.

But something else isn't running at boot time interfering with proper
login at the console and execution of the ttys.

Does anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks.