[CentOS] rsyslog does not log on a separate partition/FS mounted on /var/log/

John R. Dennison jrd at gerdesas.com
Wed Aug 6 18:14:27 UTC 2014

On Wed, Aug 06, 2014 at 10:20:38AM -0700, Keith Keller wrote:

> It certainly can't hurt to check both cases: make sure rsyslog is
> starting after the proper filesystem with /var/log is mounted, and check
> the selinux contexts to make sure they're correct.

rsyslog is started with a start priority of 12; long after
/etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit finished mounting local filesystems.  Syslog's
initial ring-buffer is dumped nearly at the end of sysinit so that
should be getting dumped to the newly-mounted /var/log as well.

Kind of curious as to why that is not happening.

						John
--
When you've driven race cars, and when you've jumped out of airplanes, cars
are on fire, when you've been upside down at two hundred miles per hour

-- Carroll Shelby (11 January 1912 - 10 May 2012)
   American automotive designer, racing driver, and entrepreneur