[CentOS] Centos7 - Terminal not blanking

Markus Falb markus.falb at fasel.at
Thu Aug 7 15:50:27 UTC 2014

On 7.8.2014 04:09, KevinO wrote:
> On 08/06/2014 05:47 PM, david wrote:
>> Folks
>>
>> Apparently "new" in Centos 7 is that the terminal screen does not
>> blank after a period of time.  This is a server configuration, and no
>> GUI is involved.  Is there some magic setting I need to tweek?
>>
> Have you tried:
>
> # setterm -blank 5
>
> ??
>
> (I've often had to do the opposite to be able to view scrolling logs)

On version 5 I do

# /usr/bin/setterm -powerdown 0 -blank 0 -term console

to disable the blank screen. This looks more complicated than your
setterm command and I do not know if the other parameters are relevant.

On version 6 there is a consoleblank=0 kernel parameter to disable the
blank.

It is strange that you experience that. I am pretty sure I ran into a
blanked CentOS 7 console last week.

--
Kind Regards, Markus Falb