[CentOS] CentOS 6 - Lost Console Login

Kirk Bocek t004 at kbocek.com
Thu Aug 7 17:27:02 UTC 2014

On 8/5/2014 3:22 PM, Kirk Bocek wrote:
>> On 8/5/2014 5:47 PM, Kirk Bocek wrote:
>>

>> Okay, it looks like upstart isn't running /etc/init/start-ttys.conf
>>
>> After running "initctl list" and seeing that tty was in stop/waiting, I
>> manually ran:
>>
>>         initctl start tty TTY=/dev/tty1
>>
>> six times to get the six usual ttys. After looking at start-ttys.conf I
>> guess I could have just run that once instead. Now "initctl list" looks
>> like:
> Starting the ttys that way didn't work. I was unable to login. So I
> stopped them and ran:
>
>           initctl start start-ttys
>
> Which *seemed* to work better. It loaded all six ttys. I was able to
> login at the console. I see an entry in /var/log/secure for my login.
>
> *But* the terminal session is all messed up. I can run any commands.
> They are accepted but do not execute. The first character of the command
> is echoed back but that's all. In addition, during login, the password
> is fully echoed back on the screen instead of being hidden the way it
> should be.
>
> As I said, I can login through ssh and work just fine. So the user
> environment and all user tools are intact.
>
> But something else isn't running at boot time interfering with proper
> login at the console and execution of the ttys.
>
> Does anyone have any thoughts?

I had hoped someone here might be able to shed a bit more light on the
startup processes for the console.

After educating myself a bit, I reinstalled a few packages that seemed
relevant:

         yum reinstall pam
         yum reinstall initscripts
         yum reinstall bash

But the console ttys are *still* not loading at boot time. I have to run
/etc/init/start-ttys manually.

*And* tty1 is still messed up. The password is displayed in clear text
and not blanked out. Sometimes the session is fine. Most times the
session refuses to run any commands at all.

Now weirdly tty2 through tty6 are all just fine. The password is blanked
as expected. The session executes just fine and dandy.

Once again I'll ask if anyone has any experience with Upstart. Can
anyone tell me why /etc/init/start-ttys isn't running at boot time?

Thanks again for your help.