[CentOS] KVM in CentOS 5?

Marko Vojinovic vvmarko at gmail.com
Thu Aug 7 20:21:31 UTC 2014

On Thu, 7 Aug 2014 22:54:40 +0300
Eero Volotinen <eero.volotinen at iki.fi> wrote:
> > I've been trying to do some KVM virtualization on a C5 host, and to
> > my surprise, there seems to be no kvm package in any of the repos.
>
> read docs at
> https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/5/pdf/Virtualization/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux-5-Virtualization-en-US.pdf

I did read those. On page 31 the instructions say that kvm can
be installed via yum by saying "yum install kvm". That's where I got
stuck.

> Why you are using Centos 5 ? version 6 and 7 are already released?

This host is a remote machine, and I will not have physical access to
it until next month. While I do plan to scrap it and install C7, I
don't feel like attempting to do that remotely. :-)

As for guests that should run on that host, I figured that I could
create and run them even now, and just back them up when I get to
upgrading the host. I wouldn't like to waste a whole month of guests not
running, just waiting for the host upgrade.

So, is there any possibility to have kvm on C5?

Best, :-)
Marko