[CentOS] CentOS 6.5 printer weirdness...

Fred Smith fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us
Sat Aug 9 21:25:20 UTC 2014

On Sat, Aug 09, 2014 at 05:12:59PM -0400, Robert Heller wrote:
> Ok, it is consistent and repeatable:
>
> *Everytime* I do a routine 'yum update' on the CentOS 6.5 server (64-bit) the
> printers (both of them networked laser printers, one an [old] HP Laserjet 4200
> and one a [new] Brother MFC-9970CDW), cups loses the ability to print (its
> filter chain becomes broken). According to the CUPS mailing list, this error
> is 'never' because of of problem with cups, but always with the 'underlying
> operating system' -- eg the 'underlying operating system' has messed with the
> filters CUPS uses for the printers.
>
> So is this a *known* problem?  Or is there something Redhat has done to the
> distributed cups RPM (or is it something the CentOS developers have done to
> the Redhat source rpm)?
>
> I noticed that the update I just did included an updated cups RPM.
>
> The *appearent* cure (workaround?) is to delete the printers, and re-install
> them.
>
> Has anyone else had this problem?

Not me.

I have two Brother printers at home, both networked, and my personal
workstation at home is Centos s6.5 64-bit. I've never seen that problem
with either printer, one of which uses the drivers shipped with Centos,
the other uses Brother's official drivers.

                         While we were still sinners,
                              Christ died for us.