[CentOS] CentOS 6.5 printer weirdness...

Valeri Galtsev galtsev at kicp.uchicago.edu
Sat Aug 9 21:33:18 UTC 2014

On Sat, August 9, 2014 4:25 pm, Fred Smith wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 09, 2014 at 05:12:59PM -0400, Robert Heller wrote:
>> Ok, it is consistent and repeatable:
>>
>> *Everytime* I do a routine 'yum update' on the CentOS 6.5 server
>> (64-bit) the
>> printers (both of them networked laser printers, one an [old] HP
>> Laserjet 4200
>> and one a [new] Brother MFC-9970CDW), cups loses the ability to print
>> (its
>> filter chain becomes broken). According to the CUPS mailing list, this
>> error
>> is 'never' because of of problem with cups, but always with the
>> 'underlying
>> operating system' -- eg the 'underlying operating system' has messed
>> with the
>> filters CUPS uses for the printers.
>>
>> So is this a *known* problem?  Or is there something Redhat has done to
>> the
>> distributed cups RPM (or is it something the CentOS developers have done
>> the Redhat source rpm)?
>>
>> I noticed that the update I just did included an updated cups RPM.
>>
>> The *appearent* cure (workaround?) is to delete the printers, and
>> re-install
>> them.
>>
>> Has anyone else had this problem?
>
> Not me.
>
> I have two Brother printers at home, both networked, and my personal
> workstation at home is Centos s6.5 64-bit. I've never seen that problem
> with either printer, one of which uses the drivers shipped with Centos,
> the other uses Brother's official drivers.

Not me either. I have two departments each with cups print server on
latest Centos 6 (talking to actual printer via jetdirect ports), dozens of
CentOS 6 (fully updated as well) workstations which cups talking to print
queue servers via LPD (yes I prefer LPD communication here even though it
passes jobs over to CUPS then). And never ever I had CUPS configuration
dropped after CUPS update (neither on print queue server, not on
workstations).

just my $0.02.

Thanks.
Valeri