[CentOS] CentOS 6.5 printer weirdness...

Arun Khan knura9 at gmail.com
Sun Aug 10 07:41:51 UTC 2014

On Sun, Aug 10, 2014 at 2:42 AM, Robert Heller <heller at deepsoft.com> wrote:
> Ok, it is consistent and repeatable:
>
> *Everytime* I do a routine 'yum update' on the CentOS 6.5 server (64-bit) the
> printers (both of them networked laser printers, one an [old] HP Laserjet 4200
> and one a [new] Brother MFC-9970CDW), cups loses the ability to print (its
> filter chain becomes broken). According to the CUPS mailing list, this error
> is 'never' because of of problem with cups, but always with the 'underlying
> operating system' -- eg the 'underlying operating system' has messed with the
> filters CUPS uses for the printers.

I have not experienced any broken chains.  With generic (Debian
Wheezy) driver my Samsung 1640 printer would not print any pages
randomly.  cups administration (localhost:631) would show things are
fine.   At times a cups restart would help.

> So is this a *known* problem?  Or is there something Redhat has done to the
> distributed cups RPM (or is it something the CentOS developers have done to
> the Redhat source rpm)?

I don't think so.  My problem with Samsung 1640, were on Debian.

> The *appearent* cure (workaround?) is to delete the printers, and re-install
> them.

Yes, it would work for a while for me.

> Has anyone else had this problem?

In my case, I installed the printer driver for 1640 from Samsung's
support site and things have more stable for me.

-- Arun Khan