[CentOS] Use postfix and spamd on CentOS 6 - looking for a shortest guide

Rob Kampen rkampen at reaching-clients.com
Thu Aug 14 06:43:17 UTC 2014

On 08/14/2014 07:14 AM, Ned Slider wrote:

>>> There is a large chasm between configuring a mail server and understanding
>>> the configuration of a mail server. Due to the many pitfalls and custom
>>> environments, it is very difficult to have a 1-page document that does
>>> much more than be an outbound MTA.
>> Note what I asked for.
>> If you have installed postfix + spamassassin or whatever under CentOS
>> then presumably you downloaded certain packages
>> and then made certain changes in config files and perhaps elsewhere.
>> Therefore it is possible to write a short document just listing
>> the changes you have made.
>> It may be a waste of time in your view;
>> but in my experience this is exactly what I want to read
>> for my very basic home server needs.
>>
> Yes, I did exactly that for CentOS 5, and you can find it on the Wiki here:
>
> http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos#head-0facb50d5796bee0bd394636c32ffa9a997a6ab5
>
> There's a basic Postfix/Dovecot guide:
>
> http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/postfix
>
> It lists all the config changes required in Postfix and Dovecot for a
> basic Postfix server (assumes networking knowledge).
>
> Then you can add in some simple spam filtering with Postfix restrictions:
>
> http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/postfix_restrictions
>
> or greylisting:
>
> http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/postgrey
>
> or bolt on Amavisd/SpamAssassin:
>
> http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/Amavisd
>
> or bolt on some encryption with SASL and SSL/TLS
>
> http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/postfix_sasl
>
> These guides were all designed to be fully functional and modular so you
> could pick just the bits you wanted to extend your basic Postfix
> installation.
>
> There will be some config differences between el5 and el6 due to the
> different versions of the packages used. If you can't figure out the
> differences just go with the docs provided on el5 - it's supported for
> another 3 years or so.
>
> If you get it working on el6/el7 please feel free to fork the docs for
> those dists. I know of at least one person running this setup on el6
> with the extra packages from EPEL.
>
> This really isn't that difficult. The Postfix docs are excellent. You
> just need to spend a day reading (and understanding) the docs. The main
> confusion seems to stem from the fact that there are so many different
> ways to implement a solution and there is no right or wrong way to do
> it. But this just illustrates the ultimate flexibility of the software
> you are using.
>
> The methods documented above illustrate one such approach. I (and
> another contributor to this list) documented it for the wider community
> as it's the method we use. If you don't like it feel free to use another
> approach, but please don't complain that there isn't any documentation
> when we worked really hard to develop those docs for the community.

I have used these docs a number of times (yes all of them) for CentOS-5
with no apparent issues - Thanks guys - much appreciated from me.

I have just (8 months) set up a new CentOS-6 server using the same
guides with few changes needed - I have just implemented virtual mail
boxes on this for multiple domains, all working but no admin interface -
i.e. need to edit config files to add users etc. Still looking into this
bit to see if there is an option that is not full of security holes,
thus far I would not expose the admin interfaces to the internet, i.e.
only make them internally accessible.
HTH