[CentOS] Use postfix and spamd on CentOS 6 - looking for a shortest guide

Timothy Murphy gayleard at alice.it
Thu Aug 14 09:27:22 UTC 2014

Les Mikesell wrote:

>> But it is still reasonably easy to say what you want to do with email,
>> even if it is hard to implement.

> No, it is next to impossible to describe what is spam and fairly
> difficult with viruses.   And you have to categorize it before you can
> do something with it.

That is not part of the task of postfix, which is what I was discussing.
In fact, it is very easy to say what I want to do with viruses and spam.
I want email to pass through clamd to catch viruses,
and I want email to pass through spamassassin to catch spam.
I'm happy to leave the definition of spam to spamassassin,
and leave Mr Bayes to do my thinking for me.

>> My statement was that "the TASK of postfix is fairly easy to understand".

> Sure, as long as you don't need to make any choices...

Once I have postfix, spamassassin and dovecot working together
I don't want to make any choices in this area.
I just want to read my email on laptop or android,
and similarly for the few other users on my small system.

There are enough problems in life without inventing new ones.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net