[CentOS] need-restart ?

Kai Grunau kgrunau at geomar.de
Tue Aug 19 06:22:37 UTC 2014

On 08/18/2014 11:04 PM, Johnny Hughes wrote:
> On 08/18/2014 09:03 AM, Kai Grunau wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> today I updated the glibc packages on some CentOS machines. After the
>> Update I checked which
>> services/processes I have to restart  "yum -C ps" or "needs-restarting"
>>
>> At the most machines I get no information about necessary restarts, but
>> at two machines a long listing :
>>
>> 1 : /sbin/init
>> 386 : /sbin/udevd-d
>> 659 : /sbin/udevd-d
>> 999 : /usr/sbin/vmtoolsd
>> 1103 : auditd
>> 1128 : /sbin/rsyslogd-i/var/run/syslogd.pid-c5
>> 1170 : rpcbind
>> 1188 : rpc.statd
>> 1229 : dbus-daemon--system
>> 1270 : /usr/sbin/acpid
>> 1279 : hald
>> 1280 : hald-runner
>> 1325 : hald-addon-input: Listening on /dev/input/event2 /dev/input/event0
>> 1329 : hald-addon-acpi: listening on acpid socket /var/run/acpid.socket
>> 1350 : automount--pid-file/var/run/autofs.pid
>> 1366 : /usr/sbin/mcelog--daemon
>> 1386 : xinetd-stayalive-pidfile/var/run/xinetd.pid
>> 1486 : /usr/sbin/abrtd
>> 1494 : crond
>> 1505 : /usr/sbin/atd
>>
>> Can someone tell me why I get different output for the same action ?
> Did you run the command BEFORE the updates, to see if something was
> pending before the update was done?
>
> Are the machines identical or do some have services not running on others?

No,  I have not done it before.

One of the machines, who gave me the output was rebooted on last
thursday and no updates were installed since this day  (rpm -qa --last) .

The machines have identical kernel (2.6.32-431.23.3) and OS version
(CentOS release 6.5 (Final)). One of the affected machines is a new
Installation and waiting for some services.

The deleted flags are the same as in  /proc/1/maps

regards, Kai