[CentOS] java 1.6 and 1.7 on CentOS

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Tue Aug 19 19:08:25 UTC 2014

On Tue, Aug 19, 2014 at 1:33 PM, John R Pierce <pierce at hogranch.com> wrote:

>> I can confirm that. I have both installed. You can configure the default
>> using the 'alternatives' system.
>
> is it just me, or does anyone else think that 'alternatives' system is
> completely bogus?
>
> what if I have one user that wants JDK6 and another that needs JDK7 ?

Yes, I think pretty much everything in recent Linux distributions is
aimed at making it more single-user and PC-like instead of a unix
server.  Following Apple's lead, I guess. But even a single user may
need to run applications with differing requirements. Fortunately you
can still set JAVA_HOME and give a full path to either executable -
you just have to follow the weird symlinks or list the paths from the
rpm to figure out where they really put things.

--
   Les Mikesell
      lesmikesell at gmail.com