[CentOS] java 1.6 and 1.7 on CentOS

Toralf Lund toralf.lund at pgs.com
Wed Aug 20 13:25:11 UTC 2014

On 19/08/14 20:33, John R Pierce wrote:

>> I can confirm that. I have both installed. You can configure the default
>> using the 'alternatives' system.
> is it just me, or does anyone else think that 'alternatives' system is
> completely bogus?
I've always seen it as designed mostly for system services for which
there are several common implementations - like the SMTP server or the
printing system. Where I think it makes sense.

It may also be useful to be able to set up a system-wide default for
user applications "with alternatives", but I suppose a user override
ought to be possible in that case.

> what if I have one user that wants JDK6 and another that needs JDK7 ?
I guess the "preferred applications" system in the desktop is in a way
meant for such cases, but this of course comes across as incomplete, too.

- Toralf

This e-mail, including any attachments and response string, may contain proprietary information which is confidential and may be legally privileged. It is for the intended recipient only. If you are not the intended recipient or transmission error has misdirected this e-mail, please notify the author by return e-mail and delete this message and any attachment immediately. If you are not the intended recipient you must not use, disclose, distribute, forward, copy, print or rely on this e-mail in any way except as permitted by the author.