[CentOS] Trying to override MAC addr

Keith Keller kkeller at wombat.san-francisco.ca.us
Thu Aug 21 14:25:24 UTC 2014

On 2014-08-21, John R Pierce <pierce at hogranch.com> wrote:
> On 8/21/2014 7:09 AM, Robert Moskowitz wrote:
>> I am trying to override the mac addr.
>
> pretty sure you need to use NIC model specific utilities to do this,
> ifcfg-ethN won't do it.   the hwaddr= in there is for finding the nic,
> not for reprogramming it.

ifconfig claims to support it:

       hw class address
              Set the hardware address of this interface, if the device driver
              supports  this  operation.   The keyword must be followed by the
              name of the hardware class and the printable ASCII equivalent of
              the  hardware  address.   Hardware  classes  currently supported
              include ether (Ethernet), ax25 (AMPR AX.25), ARCnet  and  netrom
              (AMPR NET/ROM).

The important item is of course "if the device driver supports this
operation".  If not then a tool downloaded from the NIC manufacturer
might be the only way.

Unfortunately I do not know whether ifcfg-eth* supports this ifconfig
syntax.

--keith

kkeller at wombat.san-francisco.ca.us