[CentOS] HP ProLiant DL380 G5

Valeri Galtsev galtsev at kicp.uchicago.edu
Fri Aug 22 00:49:16 UTC 2014

On Thu, August 21, 2014 6:47 pm, Keith Keller wrote:
> On 2014-08-21, Valeri Galtsev <galtsev at kicp.uchicago.edu> wrote:
>> (And I do not include into hardware RAID these fake "raid" cards
>> that rely on "driver" - which are indeed software RAID cards. 3ware
>> never
>> fell that low to make/sell any of such junk. Somebody who knows LSI
>> better
>> than I do will probably say the same about them).
>
> LSI has owned 3ware for some time (who in turn were recently gobbled by
> some other company).

3ware was independent company till it was first bought by AMCC, then LSI
bought them from AMCC. I didn't know LSI sold them to someone else,
www.3ware.com still redirects to LSI. To the credit of all 3ware owners,
they left nicely working 3ware (engineering, manufacturing, etc) mechanism
as is without destroying it. Which is rare, and they deserve my respect
for that alone. I do like LSI too, and have a few of their megaraid
controllers on long lived and still very reliable boxes. I do like 3ware
more as as you said it has more transparent UI, which in my book
diminishes chance of human error tremendously. And I'm merely human. I do
like 3ware is coming with daemon that watches and notifies me when
necessary.

> The LSI MegaRAID cards are real hardware RAID.

I never heard about any LSI card called RAID which are not hardware RAID.
I can not say the same about, say, Adaptec or HighPoint to name two. Some
of Adaptec and some of HighPoint cards even though they are sold as "RAID"
cards are junk and have no place in our server room. Areca, probably, is
one more company whose RAID cards all are indeed hardware RAID cards (I
have 3 or 4 Areca cards in our server room).

So let me name them separately (I consider bad guys everybody who sells as
RAID card at least one product which is not hardware RAID card, they
confuse the world and interfere with fair profits of good guys):

good guys: LSI, 3ware, Areca

bad guys: Adaptec, HighPoint

 Somebody correct me if/where I'm wrong.

Valeri

> What I have heard, but only validated the former, is that the 3ware UI
> is simpler but the MegaRAID controllers are faster.
>
> That being said, I do also like mdraid for certain purposes.  I was able
> to successfully repurpose a very old controller in an old but nicely
> sized chassis (16 bays) by moving to an md RAID6 array, which the
> hardware controller doesn't support (I did say it's old).  I also love
> the want_replacement feature in md RAID, a feature I don't believe is
> supported in the 3ware line (you can "rebuild" just one disk if it's bad
> but hasn't been kicked out of the array yet; that rebuild is much
> faster).
>
> --keith
>
> --
> kkeller at wombat.san-francisco.ca.us