[CentOS] color is not known to server "FOREGROUND"

Frank Cox

theatre at melvilletheatre.com
Sat Aug 23 21:22:03 UTC 2014

I asked about this a while back with no response, but now have a bit more information.  Still no idea how to fix it.

I am occasionally seeing the above error when running various programs.  Originally, I discovered it when running the "display" command from ImageMagick.

$display picture.jpg
display: color is not known to server `FOREGROUND': No such file or directory @ error/xwindow.c/XGetPixelPacket/3064.

No picture is displayed.

GraphicsMagick does the same thing, but it shows the picture:

$ gm display picture.jpg
gm display: Unable to load font (-*-helvetica-medium-r-normal--12-*-*-*-*-*-iso8859-1) [Resource temporarily unavailable].
gm display: Color is not known to server (FOREGROUND) [No such file or directory].
gm display: Color is not known to server (BACKGROUND) [No such file or directory].

I have now discovered a tcl/tk program that appears to have the same issue:

$ ./Mobi_Unpack.pyw
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "./Mobi_Unpack.pyw", line 211, in <module>
    sys.exit(main())
  File "./Mobi_Unpack.pyw", line 202, in main
    root = Tkinter.Tk()
  File "/usr/lib64/python2.7/lib-tk/Tkinter.py", line 1745, in __init__
    self.tk = _tkinter.create(screenName, baseName, className, interactive, wantobjects, useTk, sync, use)
_tkinter.TclError: unknown color name "BACKGROUND"

My reading indicates that this may be due to an issue with the xorg rgbpath declaration, but I don't know how to check what xorg is actually using (since the rgbpath declaration doesn't appear in any of the files in the xorg.conf.d subdirectory).  /usr/share/X11/rgb.txt is present, though.

Where and how is FOREGROUND and BACKGROUND defined for this purpose?