[CentOS] CentOS7 Minimal installation on Vmware missing network interface

Digimer lists at alteeve.ca
Sun Aug 31 18:46:00 UTC 2014

On 31/08/14 02:39 PM, reynierpm at gmail.com wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 31, 2014 at 1:56 PM, Digimer <lists at alteeve.ca> wrote:
>
>> This is something of a loaded question and also quite dependent on what
>> you are doing. If the server is very critical, I would probably wait
>> until 7.1 or 7.2. If the server is not very critical, then sure, use EL7
>> and start learning it (and report bugs! :) ).
>>

> It's not critical, just a development server I'll like to configure in
> order to start learn a bit CentOS 7 (I'm not a System Administrator expert
> but a developer)
>

>> If 'ifconfig -a' doesn't see it, the kernel probably doesn't, either. Do
>> you see it in lspci or dmidecode? If not, I would look at the hypervisor
>> for a problem.
>>

> As I said above I'm not a expert but I did "man dmidecode" since lspci
> isn't available and I can't find a TYPE for see network interfaces also I
> do not know if the output is related to motherboard (the one I have) or is
> related to emulated board (if this has sense), so what command should I run
> to give you proper info?

No worries about not being an admin.

To find a package that provides a certain tool, you can do this:

[root at rhel7-builder ~]# yum provides "*/lspci"
Loaded plugins: product-id, subscription-manager
Repodata is over 2 weeks old. Install yum-cron? Or run: yum makecache fast
rhel-7-server-rpms/7Server/x86_64/filelists_db

                                    | 3.7 MB  00:00:01
rhel-ha-for-rhel-7-server-rpms/7Server/x86_64/filelists_db

                                    |  50 kB  00:00:00
rhel-rs-for-rhel-7-server-rpms/7Server/x86_64/filelists_db

                                    |  55 kB  00:00:00
rhel-sap-for-rhel-7-server-rpms/7Server/x86_64/filelists_db

                                    | 3.7 kB  00:00:00
pciutils-3.2.1-4.el7.x86_64 : PCI bus related utilities
Repo        : rhel-7-server-rpms
Matched from:
Filename    : /usr/sbin/lspci

This shows that you can get 'lspci' by installing the 'pciutils' program.

As for "hardware", from inside the VM, only the emulated hardware can be
seen, not the real hardware. So lspci, dmidecode and similar tools will
report on the (virtual) hardware created by VMWare.

Sorry, but I can't provide any advice for VMWare, I use KVM.

>> Yes you can do it without rebooting, but it still requires taking the
>> network down.
>>
>> I wrote this a while ago:
>>
>> https://alteeve.ca/w/Changing_Ethernet_Device_Names_in_EL7_and_Fedora_15%2B
>>
>> It probably needs to be updated/cleaned up, but it should be good enough
>> to help you.
>

> I'll take a look in a few minutes after system updates complete

Let me know if you have trouble.

Cheers!

--
Digimer