[CentOS] Install Centos 6 x86_64 on Dell PowerEdge 2970 and a SSD (hardware probing issues)

Rainer Duffner rainer at ultra-secure.de
Sun Aug 31 20:53:39 UTC 2014

Am 31.08.2014 um 21:52 schrieb Jason Pyeron <jpyeron at pdinc.us>:

> I have a fleet of 2970s and we are upgrading the hardrives on the motherboard SATA ports (A/B not the PERC backplane) when a "detecting hardware" is performed the system crashes, reboots and gives an E1422 error code (useless video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PhyMeUHJar4).
>
> We narrowed it down to a motherboard BIOS issue, if we remove the SSD or add noprobe to the kernel the installer does not crash.

Is that actually a supported configuration (in the Dell-sense)?.

Which is the „primary" hard drive then? SATA or PERC?

Have you booted any other OS on it?
FreeBSD 10?
CentOS7?

Ubuntu?

Note that I have no idea about Dell servers. I’ve never worked with them in my professional life - but my experience is that trying the same thing more than three times in a row is a waste of time (and nerves: I can literally see my life being shortened by watching server-BIOS boot-up screens…)