[CentOS] KVM in CentOS 5?

Thu Aug 7 22:35:14 UTC 2014

On Thu, August 7, 2014 5:30 pm, Les Mikesell wrote:

>>> Technically you don't need to have a 64-bit host OS to virtualize a
>>> 64-bit guest but that may be the way kvm is built.   I know I used to
>>> run 64-bit linux versions under vmware player on a laptop running
>>> 32-bit windows XP.    Maybe virtualbox would work...
>>
>> To the best of my knowledge, vmware emulates generic CPU, therefore,
>> guest
>> can have different architecture from host. Emulates meaning, in
>> particular, what is CPU register for guest is actually sitting in RAM.
>> Therefore, regisetr-to-register operation for vmware guest ias asctually
>> physical RAM to physical RAM operation which is a couple of orders on
>> magnitude slower (well, was long ago, and I'm sure still is).
>
> I don't think that makes any sense in the context of CPU's with
> hardware virtualization capability - which is necessary for 64-bit
> guests anyway.    And it doesn't match the speeds I've observed for
> vmware vs kvm guests which seem about the same.  It might be true when
> running 32 bit guests on hosts where the CPU does not have hardware
> virtualization support.

Yes, I should have mentioned that. Vmware changed from emulating CPU to
hardware virtualization some time ago. I was referring to older vmware
virtualization for which it is possible to have different host and guest
architecture. The last was mentioned in post I answered to... Sorry I
introduced confusion.