[CentOS] Dual boot with 2 drives

Sat Aug 9 11:29:24 UTC 2014
Tony Molloy <tony.molloy at ul.ie>

On Saturday 09 August 2014 11:23:10 Alan McRae wrote:
> No problems Joe. I have done this multiple times.
>
> I assume you have Fedora 20 on sda (the first disk) with
> the bootloader (grub2) on sda. Your BIOS will be set to boot sda.
>
> You install CentOS 7 on sdb (obvious).
>
> Your options are with the bootloader (grub2). If you install
> the bootloader on sdb the two systems will remain separate.
> You will have to change the BIOS to boot either sda (F20)  or sdb
>  (C7).
>
> The way I prefer would be to install the new bootloader on sda
> (overwriting the current configuration).
> Your BIOS will still boot sda which will take you into
> the grub2 menus which will show both Fedora 20 and CentOS 7.
>
> You need to be aware that in the above configuration sda will
> boot into /boot on sdb (C7) which will have the dual boot menus.
> Don't wreck this directory or you won't be able to boot F20
>  (easily).
>
> The F20 and C7 installers are very good. They scan the disks for
> linux and Windows installations and add them into the boot menu for
>  you.
>
> I have a laptop which boots C7, C6, F20, XP and 3 versions of
>  Android using grub2.
>
> Alan

I'v been trying to dual boot  windows 7 and CentOS 7 for a week now
without any luck.

CentOS 5/6 and Fedora 20 recognise the Windows installation and place
an entry for it on the boot menu.

CentOS 7 anaconda recognises the Windows 7 ntfs partition at
installation time as unknown but doesn't place an entry for it in the
grub2 boot files. Did you install CentOS 7 last.

Tony
--
Linux nogs.tonyshome.ie 2.6.32-431.23.3.el6.x86_64 #1 SMP Thu Jul 31
17:20:51 UTC 2014 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux