[CentOS] CentOS 7 - Firewall always allows outgoing packets?

Sun Aug 10 18:58:45 UTC 2014

On Aug 9, 2014, at 10:45 AM, Valeri Galtsev <galtsev at kicp.uchicago.edu> wrote:
> Systemd, firewalld... Linux from what formerly was "UNIX-like" becomes "MS
> Windows-like". This is what you will hear from everybody fleeing Linux (I
> for one started gradually moving servers to FreeBSD a while back).

While the lack of outbound rules is a rather big missing feature, I don't consider 'firewalld' a step back.  Just like systemd, firewalld lets you break up rules into small chunks, scoped to a particular service or zone, which makes it easier to include a firewall rule in your RPM package or Configuration Management-managed service.  Right now, I jump through a bunch of hoops in my CM environment to manage a monolithic /etc/sysconfig/iptables file on our 6.5-based servers and workstations, and I'm looking forward to using firewalld in 7.x.

I really don't see how this is *more* like Windows behavior.  To me, it feels like a step in the right direction.  And it's not like CentOS7 disables the ability to use iptables, or makes it incredibly difficult to switch.