[CentOS] CentOS 7 - Firewall always allows outgoing packets?

Wed Aug 13 13:16:03 UTC 2014
Timothy Murphy <gayleard at alice.it>

Jonathan Billings wrote:

> 'FirewallD' doesn't replace 'iptables' except in the sense of activated
> system services, not the core firewall functionality.  FirewallD just
> builds and modifies iptables rules.

I'm a bit surprised no-one has mentioned shorewall.
I'm using it on two tiny home servers,
one under CentOS-6 and the other CentOS-7.
Basically, this is because I don't understand iptables,
or really want to understand it.
Is firewalld a reasonable alternative in CentOS-6?

I often wonder if I am in a small minority of CentOS users,
who are just running home servers of some kind.
Most of the posters to this mailing list
seem to be in charge of systems with hundreds if not thousands of users.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net