[CentOS] Use postfix and spamd on CentOS 6 - looking for a shortest guide

Wed Aug 13 15:27:20 UTC 2014
BC <centoslistmail at gmail.com>

On Wed, Aug 13, 2014 at 7:41 AM, Timothy Murphy <gayleard at alice.it> wrote:

> I've never seen a 1-page document that said,
> "These are the changes I made after downloading packages X, Y and Z."
> And there are few if any tests to determine where email is going
> if it is not going where you want it to.

There is a large chasm between configuring a mail server and understanding
the configuration of a mail server. Due to the many pitfalls and custom
environments, it is very difficult to have a 1-page document that does much
more than be an outbound MTA. One seemingly minor and innocuous change to
main.cf can create an open relay or an infinite loop (especially when
adding content pipes) or any number of other problems. Unlike apache, you
can't just tweak the config after a failure and hit 'refresh'. The postfix
documentation does detail a few sane defaults, but spamassassin is not part
of postfix and therefore the defaults have to be modified right from the
get-go, also unlike with apache where the defaults work for many people
because they don't require any complexity from their httpd servers. See
this comment in the standard httpd.conf:

# Do NOT simply read the instructions in here without understanding
# what they do.  They're here only as hints or reminders.  If you are unsure
# consult the online docs. You have been warned.

 I would highly recommend getting a book on postfix. It is very
enlightening and well worth it. The problem scope of mail is large and
complex and small scattered online docs will not lead you easily to an
understanding of that scope.