[CentOS] Use postfix and spamd on CentOS 6 - looking for a shortest guide

Wed Aug 13 23:19:55 UTC 2014
Timothy Murphy <gayleard at alice.it>

Les Mikesell wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 13, 2014 at 5:55 PM, Timothy Murphy

>> In my experience email has been working without problems
>> for as long as Unix has been running,
>> long before system administrator exams were invented.
>
> That was back when it was safe to assume that those one or more
> destination wanted to receive anything that showed up on port 25.   Or
> that you could reasonably accept the unwanted data and subsequently
> send it back to wherever the From: line said it came from.   Which was
> basically never but people used to do it before they knew better.

But it is still reasonably easy to say what you want to do with email,
even if it is hard to implement.
My statement was that "the TASK of postfix is fairly easy to understand".

>> It is not necessary to understand how the internal combustion engine
>> works in order to drive a car; and there is no evidence that those who do
>> know make better drivers.
>
> Not a good analogy.  Cars have a fairly useful user interface for the
> decisions drivers need to make.  MTA's need to have helper programs
> hooked into various places that are much less standardized to make
> some decisions for you.

You are clutching at straws.

"Whatever can be said can be said clearly" - Wittgenstein

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net