[CentOS] CentOS 7 - Firewall always allows outgoing packets?

Thu Aug 14 06:33:51 UTC 2014
Rob Kampen <rkampen at reaching-clients.com>

On 08/14/2014 01:16 AM, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> Jonathan Billings wrote:
>
>> 'FirewallD' doesn't replace 'iptables' except in the sense of activated
>> system services, not the core firewall functionality.  FirewallD just
>> builds and modifies iptables rules.
> I'm a bit surprised no-one has mentioned shorewall.
> I'm using it on two tiny home servers,
> one under CentOS-6 and the other CentOS-7.
> Basically, this is because I don't understand iptables,
> or really want to understand it.
> Is firewalld a reasonable alternative in CentOS-6?
>
> I often wonder if I am in a small minority of CentOS users,
> who are just running home servers of some kind.
> Most of the posters to this mailing list
> seem to be in charge of systems with hundreds if not thousands of users.

I run 6 servers currently (4 running CentOS-5 and 2 running CentOS-6)
plus a laptop and a workstation running CentOS-6. Still to take the
plunge into CentOS-7. My operating space is small business situations
wanting low touch, high up time and reliability. Also a high aversion to
being sold expensive software that in no way out-performs FOSS for all
the basic tasks a small business needs to survive.
Thus you are not alone and probably not that small a minority.