[CentOS] Use postfix and spamd on CentOS 6 - looking for a shortest guide

Thu Aug 14 10:49:04 UTC 2014
Timothy Murphy <gayleard at alice.it>

David Beveridge wrote:

>> I'm happy to leave the definition of spam to spamassassin,
>> and leave Mr Bayes to do my thinking for me.

> And therein lies the problem.
> Unfortunately spamassassin is not really the best way to stop spam.
> You need more.

Speak for yourself.
Spamassasin does a pretty good job for me.

> Spamassassin should just be a tool in the toolkit not the entire solution.
> It is CPU and bandwidth intensive.

I get about 300 emails a day on my small system,
of which about 150 are spam, as defined by SA.
I don't think this is likely to burn out my (ancient) CPU.

> A large proportion of spam can and should be rejected, before the body of
> the email is received.

I'm sure if and when such a system becomes available
RedHat and CentOS will implement it,
and I shall take advanage of their expertise.

I assume you are speaking of a system with hundreds or thousands of users.
(Do such systems still exist? I thought they had died out.)
I have 4 users.
Our needs are very different.

Incidentally, I get email from sources who filter out spam, eg my college,
and they don't seem to do a much better job than SA.
I'm still invited to marry beautiful ladies from Russia.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net