[CentOS] Skype on CentOS 6.5

Tue Aug 19 02:18:23 UTC 2014
Marko Vojinovic <vvmarko at gmail.com>

On Mon, 18 Aug 2014 21:09:41 -0400
Mark LaPierre <marklapier at gmail.com> wrote:
> About a week ago my Skype installation stopped working.  I can start
> it up but I can't log on.
[snip]
> Can anyone offer some sound advice to getting my Skype running again?

The reason skype stopped working is that Microsoft decided to change its
communication protocol in an incompatible way, starting from 1. August.
In order to continue working, all devices running skype (computers,
smartphones, etc.) on all operating systems must update to the latest
version of skype for their platform. For Linux, this is version
4.3.0.37.

As far as CentOS 6 is concerned, you want to download the
latest "dynamic" skype tarball from the skype website [1], and install
it as per instructions on the CentOS wiki [2]. Essentially, the
installation is the same as for previous versions, no surprises. Works
well for me.

As far as CentOS 5 is concerned, no support, forget it.

HTH, :-)
Marko

[1] http://www.skype.com/en/download-skype/skype-for-computer/
[2] http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/Skype