[CentOS] java 1.6 and 1.7 on CentOS

Wed Aug 20 13:43:27 UTC 2014
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>

On Wed, Aug 20, 2014 at 8:25 AM, Toralf Lund <toralf.lund at pgs.com> wrote:
>>> I can confirm that. I have both installed. You can configure the default
>>> using the 'alternatives' system.
>> is it just me, or does anyone else think that 'alternatives' system is
>> completely bogus?
> I've always seen it as designed mostly for system services for which
> there are several common implementations - like the SMTP server or the
> printing system. Where I think it makes sense.

But do you really need _two_ symlinks to get a default in your PATH?

> It may also be useful to be able to set up a system-wide default for
> user applications "with alternatives", but I suppose a user override
> ought to be possible in that case.
>

>> what if I have one user that wants JDK6 and another that needs JDK7 ?
> I guess the "preferred applications" system in the desktop is in a way
> meant for such cases, but this of course comes across as incomplete, too.

The concept used for 'software collections' is a more realistic
approach - but instead of hiding where things land and needing a tool
to set up use, why not just tell people what to add to their own PATH
and LD_LIBRARY path to get the version you want.  That's almost
certainly what the developers of every package where they need to have
test versions does.  So why treat the users like they would be too
dumb for that?

--
  Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com