[CentOS] HP ProLiant DL380 G5

Thu Aug 21 22:32:53 UTC 2014
GKH <xaos at darksmile.net>

Valeri,

I hope you realize that your arguments for hardware RAID
all depend on everything working just right.

If something goes wrong with a disk (on HW RAID)
you can't just simply take out the disk, move it to another
computer and maybe do some forensics.

The formatting of disks on HW RAID is transparent to Linux.
Therefore my disks are all RAID or not.

What if I wanted to mix and match? Maybe I don't want my swap
RAID for performance.

The idea of taking my data (which is controlled by an OSS
Operating System, Linux) and putting it behind a closed source
and closed system RAID controller is appalling to me.

It comes down to this: Linux knows where and when to position
the heads of disks in order to max performance. If a
RAID controller is in the middle, whatever algorithm
Linux is using is no longer valid. The RAID controller
is the one who makes the I/O decisions.

Sorry, this is not something I want to live with.

GKH