[CentOS] HP ProLiant DL380 G5

Fri Aug 22 04:12:19 UTC 2014
John R Pierce <pierce at hogranch.com>

On 8/21/2014 5:49 PM, Valeri Galtsev wrote:
> I never heard about any LSI card called RAID which are not hardware RAID.

the base LSI SAS HBA cards, like the 2008 chip (9211-8i etc boards) have
microcoded hardware raid without any write buffer or battery
backup....   Its not quite fake raid but its kinda in limbo..

I *much* prefer to use these cards in IT mode, which requires reflashing
the firmware and BIOS, as they always seem to be shipped in IR mode.
IT mode is plain SAS2 Initiator-Target mode, where the disks are just
plain disks without needing to create volumes or any other nonsense.