[CentOS] NetworkManager

Fri Aug 22 22:02:34 UTC 2014
John R. Dennison <jrd at gerdesas.com>

On Fri, Aug 22, 2014 at 02:58:29PM -0700, John R Pierce wrote:
> On 8/22/2014 2:55 PM, Christof Stocker wrote:
> > So I noticed that the minimal installation of CentOS 7 comes - in
> > contrary to minimal CentOS 6.5 - preinstalled with the NetworkManager.
> >
> > I somewhat understand its usefulness, especially for wlan / desktops,
> > and its not like it really bothers me.. That being said, it seems to me
> > with my naive linux understanding that it kinda goes against the
> > definition of a "minimal" installation.
> >
> > Does anyone know why this decision was made / a good idea?
>
> network manager is used by default to manage all sorts of connections
> now, including ethernet with DHCP.

More important with regards to the minimal install set it matches what
Red Hat is doing.

						John
--
If there is an embarrassment equivalent of post-traumatic stress disorder,
South Carolina has it.

-- Dick Harpootlian, former state Democratic chairman, on its recent
   politics, New York Times, 12 June 2010