[CentOS] OT: Linksys router misbehaviour

Tue Aug 26 17:55:43 UTC 2014
John R Pierce <pierce at hogranch.com>

On 8/26/2014 7:10 AM, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> My broadband speed is 6.58Mbps.
> (I am in a fairly remote location.)
> I connect to my router/access point at close to
> the advertised speed of 54Mbps,
> so I don't think there is any danger of taxing the router.
> I don't think the router's speed makes much difference
> unless the broadband connection is an order of magnitude
> greater than mine.

you don't use your network for anything other than internet access?

I only ever saw my WRT54GS (original version, same hardware as the GL
but with more memory) hit 50Mbps under totally optimal conditions, with
a single client active, doing a single 1-way transfer, and within 30
feet line of sight of the access point.   as soon as you have two active
wireless guests, the total bandwidth gets throttled, and if you're more
than 30' away the speed falls off rapidly.   even using range extender
antennas on the WRT54GS, I get much better range with any of several
802.11n class wifi access points, including a netgear N600 (WDR3600 or
something?) and a UniFi AP.