[CentOS] CentOS 5 takes one second holding each keyboard key until it shows.

Thu Aug 28 08:30:38 UTC 2014
Reinhard Dunkel <dunkel at sciencesoft.net>

On 08/27/2014 06:07 PM, SilverTip257 wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 26, 2014 at 10:54 PM, Reinhard Dunkel <dunkel at sciencesoft.net>
> wrote:
>
>> I used CentOS 5 for years. Suddenly, it takes one second holding a
>> keyboard key until it shows on the screen:
>>

> Is this system accessible via SSH?
> Does the behavior only happen when using the physical keyboard?
>
> Might it be out of physical memory (RAM) and swapping violently?
> Disk thrashing of this sort can cause rather irritating delays.
>
> Or maybe a failing or failed drive?  (Assuming you could have a hardware or
> software RAID setup)
Does CentOS now only support user request tracking by email? I cannot
find this thread on the CentOS web site...

My computer has 4 GB Patriot memory - the maximum amount the motherboard
allows. Using  command "top" shows less than one percent of CPU and
memory are in use. The computer is idle. I am using a 1 TB WD disk for
CentOS 5 and a 2 TB Seagate disk for CentOS 7. No RAID.

On CentOS 5, I use command "su" to show a root shell. On CentOS 7, su no
longer works and I use "ssh root at localhost" instead. (I have not tried
SSH to access my CentOS systems remotely yet.)

Concerning a previous comment: I did not modify the hardware likely
causing this problem. I only have to switch between both disks -
described above - to boot CentOS 5 or CentOS 7. My suspicion is "yum
update" using numerous official and unofficial "repos" installed
something causing this challenge. The login screen of CentOS 5 for user
name and password still works fine. By the way, we develop software
(NMRanalyst) and I try to keep a CentOS 5 system alive so we can test on
it to claim our software is supported on it. When I don't get further
suggestions, I likely re-install another disk with CentOS 5 - this time
using only official repos.

ThanX for all suggestions!