[CentOS] Inconsistent printing on Centos 7

Fri Aug 29 21:47:18 UTC 2014
Frank Cox <theatre at melvilletheatre.com>

On Fri, 29 Aug 2014 15:10:14 -0600
Frank Cox wrote:

> On Fri, 29 Aug 2014 12:33:30 -0600
> Frank Cox wrote:
>
> > When the printers were hooked up to the Centos 7 machine, they weren't
> > automatically "discovered" by the Centos 6 machines.

It appears that Cups 1.6 no longer supports automatic discovery of remote printers.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/cups/+bug/1052897

So that's one question answered.  Apparently not having remote printers show up automatically is the expected behaviour as it can no longer be done.

I'm getting the impression that printing with Centos 7 has broken, due to shortcomings in cups 1.6.

A raw print queue doesn't work for me when printing to the Xerox Phaser 3150 from the Centos 7 client to the Centos 6 print server.  All I get when printing a test page with the raw queue is this:

#PDF-BANNER
Template default-testpage.pdf
Show printer-name printer-info printer-location printer-make-and-model printer-d
river-name printer-driver-version paper-size imageable-area job-id options time-
at-creation time-at-processing

Changing the printer driver on the Centos 7 client to Xerox Phaser 3150 instead of raw gets me two pages of print-out when I click "print test page".  The first page says, "**** Warning: glyf overlaps cmap, truncating."  Then the test page prints as expected.