[CentOS] CentOs 7.0 and reboot failure

Mon Dec 1 18:50:42 UTC 2014
Ned Slider <ned at unixmail.co.uk>

On 01/12/14 18:36, Gregory P. Ennis wrote:
> On Thu, 2014-11-27 at 22:04 -0600, Gregory P. Ennis wrote:
>> On Thu, 2014-11-27 at 18:50 -0600, Gregory P. Ennis wrote:
>>> Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2014 13:50:17 -0600

>>> Do you mean the runlevel?  If so, are you sure that you changed it correctly?
>>>
>>> Centos 7 doesn't use runlevels set in inittab like previous versions did.  I see that fact is actually noted in /etc/inittab, along with the expected way to do it.
>>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>>>
>>> Frank,
>>>
>>> Yes, you are correct, I changed the run level and not boot level to 5
>>> and did so by using the command :
>>>
>>> ln -sf /lib/systemd/system/graphical.target /etc/systemd/system/default.target
>>>
>>> Also, I appreciate everybody's input on this, but I am still at a loss
>>> as to how to fix this.  Without being able to reboot, it sure makes the
>>> set up difficult.
>>>
>>> Does anyone else have any ideas??
>>>
>>> Greg
>>>

>> I have tried some additional changes that have not made a difference.
>>
>> I disabled selinux - that made no difference
>> I stopped and disabled firewalld  - that made no difference.
>>
>> I can boot this machine after I turn it off and then back on, but when I
>> try to do a shutdown now -r, the system hangs right after picking the OS
>> that is desired "CentOS Linux..........".
>>
>> After the machine is turned off the boot process occurs normally after
>> this choice and I get two penguins in the upper left hand corner, and
>> the boot proceeds.  When I do a shutdown now -r, I do not get to the
>> penguins and the machine hangs forever until I either unplug it or press
>> the power button for 5 seconds.
>>
>> Any help would be appreciated!!!
>>
>> Greg

> Everyone,
>
> I did not get much of a response on the list so I filed a bug report.  I
> wanted to document the bug report for anyone else that is having a
> reboot problem.
>
> https://bugs.centos.org/view.php?id=7949
>

> Greg Ennis

Seems little point in filing a bug report when you have no idea what the
issue is. Bugs are not a means of troubleshooting nor a support forum.
However, you did get my attention so lets see if we can stimulate some
further interest in troubleshooting this.

So the system will perform a cold reboot, but not a warm reboot. Sounds
like a hardware issue to me.

Any clues in /var/log/messages ?

Tried updating the BIOS?

Any hardware firmwares being loaded?