[CentOS] partedmagic connecting to a comcast address

Wed Dec 3 17:12:06 UTC 2014
SilverTip257 <silvertip257 at gmail.com>

On Wed, Dec 3, 2014 at 5:49 AM, g <geleem at bellsouth.net> wrote:

> i have been noticing a short connection burst in system monitor every
> time i connect to internet.
>
> i got curious and decided to run wireshark to see what was happening.
>
> seems that i am connecting to 96.195.141.178 with destination of
> "PartedMagic".
>
> this seemed strange because i do not have PartedMagic installed, so
> i ran a 'whois' check.

> this is what it showed:
>
> IP Location    United States United States Pittsburgh
>                  Comcast Cable Communications Llc
> ASN            United States AS7922 COMCAST-7922
>                - Comcast Cable Communications, Inc.,US
>                  (registered Feb 14, 1997)
> Resolve Host   m001dd684d074.pitt1.pa.comcast.net
> Whois Server   whois.arin.net
> IP Address     96.195.141.178
> NetRange:      96.192.0.0 - 96.223.255.255
> CIDR:          96.192.0.0/11
> NetName:       COMCAST-VOIP-4
> NetHandle:     NET-96-192-0-0-1
> Parent:        NET96 (NET-96-0-0-0-0)
> NetType:       Direct Allocation
> OriginAS:
>
> is this something for concern?

Maybe.
A bit odd since that's assigned as Comcast VOIP and not a static customer
block.

> if so, what is/are best way/s to track this down?

I'd dump the traffic with tcpdump or wireshark and analyze it.
What type of traffic is it?
(transport layer protocol, as well as application protocol -- ex: HTTP is
TCP port 80)

Are there any DNS queries that happen prior to the spike?  Use wireshark to
capture them and that might give a clue.

You could also use nethogs to diagnose and determine what program is
causing the spike.
http://nethogs.sourceforge.net/

--
Mike