[CentOS] Nvidia, vncserver, >> xfce = Resolved Issue

Stan Cruise

stancruise at me.com
Mon Dec 1 03:29:32 UTC 2014

The suggestion from Marco to try a non-3D DE worked. I tried two methods:
1. minimal Centos 7 install and xfce install via CLI. Worked fine.
2. Gnome Centos 7 install and then xfce install via yum groupinstall.
Worked fine.

One tip for anyone doing this:

After starting vncserver the first time, it creates a ~/.vnc/xstartup
file. This will be the same type of session if you logged in locally.
Edit that file so that it contains the following:

#!/bin/sh
exec /bin/sh /etc/xdg/xfce4/xinitrc

Then it will start up an xfce session.

A method to debug this is to actually launch the session on the host by
running the xstartup file. If it works on the host it will most likely
will work on the remote client. If you try this without the xstartup
file mod above it will fail with the 'oh no ...' error right there in a
new window on the host. It helps avoid some running around.

Many thanks for the help on this. A nice side effect is that I am
spending effort to install xfce on all my VMs. The performance
improvement is dramatic. And mostly gone is that arduous Gnome3 DE. I
really tried to use it. It's kind of OK for light work, but for any
medium multi-tasking it is frustrating.

Stan

Message: 25