[CentOS] A gmane mystery

Timothy Murphy gayleard at eircom.net
Mon Dec 1 21:22:16 UTC 2014

On Monday 01 December 2014 16:00:44 m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:

> >> I've been collecting redhat.fedora from gmane for several years,
> >> but about a week ago I found that while I could read gmane newsgroups
> >> I was unable to post to them - that is, my posts did not appear.
> >
> > To be honest, this was a test post,
> > to see if I could post directly to this newsgroup
> > (rather than sending email to the mailing list).
> >
> > I found that I can indeed post to the centos newsgroup.
> > But for some reason I cannot post directly
> > to the corresponding Fedora newsgroup,
> > gmane.linux.redhat.fedora.general,
> > though I can send email the corresponding mailing list,
> > users at lists.fedoraproject.org .
> >
> > Why can I post to one gmane newsgroup, and not to the other?
> > I am subscribed to both mailing lists,
> > and everything is exactly the same in the two cases.
> >
> > If anyone can cast light on this phenomenon, I should be very grateful.
>
> This is the CentOS mailing list. You have to subscribe to it, and it's
> moderated (by someone who currently seems to have a personal issue with
> me, so I can't post to it). It's not a newsgroup.

Evidently you are not familiar with gmane.
This is a newsgroup server that mirrors various mailing lists
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gmane>
including this mailing list, to which I am subscribed,
and which is mirrored in the newsgroup <gmane.linux.centos.general>.

> Is the CentOS newsgroup you're talking about a real usenet newsgroup? If
> so, what's the name, comp.os.centos, or some such?

I posted my query to the gmane newsgroup described above,
and it thereupon found its way to the CentOS mailing list,
where you presumably read it.

--
Timothy Murphy
gayleard /at/ eircom.net