[CentOS] NetworkManager fights with DHCP-only backup NIC

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Tue Dec 2 23:44:10 UTC 2014

On Tue, Dec 2, 2014 at 5:00 PM, Warren Young <wyml at etr-usa.com> wrote:

>> Really?  That's insane.  Our wired jacks are not on the same subnets
>> as our access points.   I'm not sure that's even possible with the
>> Cisco units that have separate controllers.
>
> In such a network, you won’t run static IP configuration on such boxes.  You’ll use DHCP.
>
> On my home LAN, this automatic static IP migration is *exactly* what I want on my laptop.

I don't get it.  Laptops are portable.  Don't you ever go out of your
house?   If you control everything you can easily tell your dhcp
server what IP to give it when you are there.

> The current NetworkManager design isn’t unequivocally wrong.  It’s a sensible default for Fedora.  It’s just not the right choice for enterprise Linux servers.
>
> If you want to go and argue that Fedora shouldn’t be driving CentOS, it’s not an impossible position to take, but you have to fill in the blank spot it leaves.  What would drive CentOS instead?

I'd argue that splitting the community into separate groups - one that
likes the design of unix/linux and runs large numbers of servers
because they like it, and one that would really rather have a windows
desktop for their only machine was the wrong thing to do in the first
place.  And having broken the community, letting the group that
doesn't like the product in the first place control the design is
probably a bad thing too.   Red Hat wasn't that bad back when the
people using it contributed directly to its development and were able
to use the result.

--
   Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com