[CentOS] CentOs 7.0 and reboot failure

Gregory P. Ennis PoMec at PoMec.Net
Wed Dec 3 03:31:27 UTC 2014

On Tue, 2014-12-02 at 16:32 -0600, Gregory P. Ennis wrote:
> On Tue, 2014-12-02 at 20:23 +0000, Ned Slider wrote:

> > > Ned,
> > >
> > > Thanks for your response!!!
> > >
> > > Sorry, if posting a bug report was the wrong venue !!!
> > >
> > > There are no messages in the message logs that I could identify as
> > > problems, but the system fails before the OS is active.
> > >
> > > I have not updated the BIOS, and do not know how to do this... but this
> > > is my testing machine so I am more than open to doing this.  I am using
> > > a Gateway SX2855-UB12P.  I will take a look at the Gateway site; if
> > > there are tutorials you could point me to I would appreciate it.
> >
> > You'd have to check the Gateway website to see if a bios update is
> > available to download for your model. Instructions are normally included
> > / available.
> >

> > > The only hardware that has been added has been a usb ethernet connection
> > > so that I have the motherboard nic card and the usb nic connection.
> >

> > Just to eliminate the easy option first, does unplugging the USB
> > ethernet adapter (before rebooting) solve the problem?
> >

> > > wanted to use this setup to test the firewalld capabilities for a
> > > network gateway.  The machine does not have a monitor, and is without a
> > > mouse or keyboard.
> > >
> > > It should be noted that this machine previously had CentOS 6 with a 3T
> > > Seagate drive that worked without a problem, but recently developed a
> > > disc failure.  I replaced the drive with a 4T WesternDigital drive and
> > > installed CentOs 7.0 from a DVD.
> > >

> > I wouldn't think the drive swap would make a difference.
> >
> > > Thanks again for your help!!!
> > >
> > > Greg
> > >

> -------------------------

Ned,

The USB ethernet adapter was a good thought, but removing it did not
make a difference.  I removed the adapter, rebooted with same failure,
then manually turned off system and did a boot with the adapter
unplugged, then did another reboot which had the same failure.  It does
not look like the adapter is the problem.

I will take another look at the Gateway website.  First search attempt
did not result in anything productive, that is why I looked at the
American Megatrends site which had a bios download tool, but it was for
a windows machine.  I am going to continue to look, I think my best
choice would be to take another look at Gateway site.

This machine worked perfectly under CentOS 6, I can still use it with
CentOS 7, but it is a real pain to reboot.

Greg